The answer to the main question asked in reviews on Ovaltine, "What happened?" is, sadly, Nestle's bought them out. Nestle's, contrary to what they would have us believe, and of course most people do, is not really a chocolate company at all, it is a Sugar company. The ingredients in the products they sell are only ancillary (so they can give it a name) to their main ingredient, by 80 or 90 or more %, Sugar. Why? We buy sugar by the pound, and it's relatively cheap that way. Nestle's buys sugar by the ton, and it's super cheap, yet when we buy sugar from Nestle's it's by the GRAM! Do the math. Look at Ovaltine:
Ovaltine used to be a Malt product. It had no sugar in it. You added that yourself. Now it's a Sugar product. A serving is 11 grams. Out of that, 7, by their own label, is Sugar. Oops, only 4 grams left, already. But wait a minute, (and keep in mind that labeling is constrained to the largest quantity first and down) not malt, but whey is next. But that's ok, it's a malted Milk product after all...except.. that's basically powdered milk, and that's also 5th on the list... Hmm... whatever, but do we get Malt next? Nope. Instead we get a lie, a fake-it cozen designed to Make us Think we are now getting Malt (at least 3rd) : "maltodextrin," which is not malt at all (from Corn yet), it's... yup, you guessed it... Sugar. So we now have (out of our very expensive 11 grams): 1. Sugar 2. whey (twice) 3. Sugar, by heaviest weight first, and finally we come to it...or do we?
Malt, of the kind we like for it's rich flavor, which now by the reviews and my own experience is sadly missing, is Barley sprouted then toasted then ground up. Other grains Can be used, but.... "may contain wheat." Hmmm. This is an extract they're using, and "malted barley" is first on the (parenthetical) list, but, "Barley" ? "caramel color" ? What for? Filler. When it should be..and was..totally barley malt. Then "Soy (lecithin)" the very worst of the GMO problem, and also added a second time. The rest after the powdered milk we expected is mostly color...but..Oops, what's this at the end? molasses. Which is Sugar. More Sugar. What more can I say?
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Product or service
- Nestle Ovaltine
- Review category
- Food Manufacturers
You May Also Like
- "Heated a can of Allen's brand Italian Cur Green Beans and found a huge worm inside one piece of green bean. Went online to contact Allens only to find..."
- "Hey I brought a can on Arizona and almost drunk half and it start tasting funny so my husband cut open the can and we found some paper like stuff..."
- "Tired of purchasing their salads with as many as 3 days left to be considered "fresh" by their OWN dates/standards only to find unfit lettuce. The brown lettuce is hidden..."
- "TyTy Nursery advertize online that they are selling 3 G size Adenium plant for $19.00 each . If you buy 10, you will get free shipping . On December 27,..."
- "I was compelled to write this review after reading some of the truly bizarre negative comments about Buffalo Creek Farms in Lawrence, Kansas. When we began looking for a Persian kitten,..."
- "This is the worst agent ever i all so been dealing with a lot if un reps that dont gave skills to be a rep . dont know what they..."
- "Last night, my wife and I attempted to book a flight for an upcoming trip for 6 members of our family using Orbitz.com. We entered all of the information for..."
- "These outfitters should be shut down due to unsafe practices and placing the public at risk. There place of business is in shambles, failing practically every code, they don't require..."
- "Good day, We bought a Westinghouse TV ($238) from Wal-Mart in Brossard, Quebec, Canada on the 16th of July 2016, less than a month and half later it wouldn’t work,..."