The answer to the main question asked in reviews on Ovaltine, "What happened?" is, sadly, Nestle's bought them out. Nestle's, contrary to what they would have us believe, and of course most people do, is not really a chocolate company at all, it is a Sugar company. The ingredients in the products they sell are only ancillary (so they can give it a name) to their main ingredient, by 80 or 90 or more %, Sugar. Why? We buy sugar by the pound, and it's relatively cheap that way. Nestle's buys sugar by the ton, and it's super cheap, yet when we buy sugar from Nestle's it's by the GRAM! Do the math. Look at Ovaltine:
Ovaltine used to be a Malt product. It had no sugar in it. You added that yourself. Now it's a Sugar product. A serving is 11 grams. Out of that, 7, by their own label, is Sugar. Oops, only 4 grams left, already. But wait a minute, (and keep in mind that labeling is constrained to the largest quantity first and down) not malt, but whey is next. But that's ok, it's a malted Milk product after all...except.. that's basically powdered milk, and that's also 5th on the list... Hmm... whatever, but do we get Malt next? Nope. Instead we get a lie, a fake-it cozen designed to Make us Think we are now getting Malt (at least 3rd) : "maltodextrin," which is not malt at all (from Corn yet), it's... yup, you guessed it... Sugar. So we now have (out of our very expensive 11 grams): 1. Sugar 2. whey (twice) 3. Sugar, by heaviest weight first, and finally we come to it...or do we?
Malt, of the kind we like for it's rich flavor, which now by the reviews and my own experience is sadly missing, is Barley sprouted then toasted then ground up. Other grains Can be used, but.... "may contain wheat." Hmmm. This is an extract they're using, and "malted barley" is first on the (parenthetical) list, but, "Barley" ? "caramel color" ? What for? Filler. When it should be..and was..totally barley malt. Then "Soy (lecithin)" the very worst of the GMO problem, and also added a second time. The rest after the powdered milk we expected is mostly color...but..Oops, what's this at the end? molasses. Which is Sugar. More Sugar. What more can I say?
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Product or service
- Nestle Ovaltine
- Review category
- Food Manufacturers
You May Also Like
- "I have an issue with the parmesan goldfish product's quality control. Every time I open a new bag, I never know what to expect and I hate that. I just..."
- "I bought a pack of Ritz crackers from a local Hitchcocks markets in east Palatka Florida on 09/05/2015 and upping finishing a sleeve of crackers with my daughter I noticed..."
- "I visited Europe in May and bought Godiva dark chocolates in Belgium. I was told that they are the best chocolates , but to my utter shock when I..."
- "I purchased the aerospeed bx100 box fan May 17, 2012. On May 18,2012 ( less than 24 hrs. after using this fan) My mobile home was destroyed by fire...."
- "The reason that I have been waiting for 20 mins for my order is because the staff is more interested in socializing with other staff instead of providing great customer..."
- "Ate at the brandon, fl. Location I won't go back the floor was so dirty does not look like they have cleaned the floor in months ..."
- "If you click the link you will see how we got ripped off at Giunta's Meat Farm in Bohemia NY When we opened the roast beef package we saw what you..."
- "I ordered the "Bursting Blushes" bouquet, with the "exquisite upgrade" for mother's day this year. The photo showed a dozen or so red roses with five or six large..."
- "My newer home had severe hail damage this past July, lots of hail damage to roof and siding. I am still waiting for this to get resolved. Horrible..."