The answer to the main question asked in reviews on Ovaltine, "What happened?" is, sadly, Nestle's bought them out. Nestle's, contrary to what they would have us believe, and of course most people do, is not really a chocolate company at all, it is a Sugar company. The ingredients in the products they sell are only ancillary (so they can give it a name) to their main ingredient, by 80 or 90 or more %, Sugar. Why? We buy sugar by the pound, and it's relatively cheap that way. Nestle's buys sugar by the ton, and it's super cheap, yet when we buy sugar from Nestle's it's by the GRAM! Do the math. Look at Ovaltine:
Ovaltine used to be a Malt product. It had no sugar in it. You added that yourself. Now it's a Sugar product. A serving is 11 grams. Out of that, 7, by their own label, is Sugar. Oops, only 4 grams left, already. But wait a minute, (and keep in mind that labeling is constrained to the largest quantity first and down) not malt, but whey is next. But that's ok, it's a malted Milk product after all...except.. that's basically powdered milk, and that's also 5th on the list... Hmm... whatever, but do we get Malt next? Nope. Instead we get a lie, a fake-it cozen designed to Make us Think we are now getting Malt (at least 3rd) : "maltodextrin," which is not malt at all (from Corn yet), it's... yup, you guessed it... Sugar. So we now have (out of our very expensive 11 grams): 1. Sugar 2. whey (twice) 3. Sugar, by heaviest weight first, and finally we come to it...or do we?
Malt, of the kind we like for it's rich flavor, which now by the reviews and my own experience is sadly missing, is Barley sprouted then toasted then ground up. Other grains Can be used, but.... "may contain wheat." Hmmm. This is an extract they're using, and "malted barley" is first on the (parenthetical) list, but, "Barley" ? "caramel color" ? What for? Filler. When it should be..and was..totally barley malt. Then "Soy (lecithin)" the very worst of the GMO problem, and also added a second time. The rest after the powdered milk we expected is mostly color...but..Oops, what's this at the end? molasses. Which is Sugar. More Sugar. What more can I say?
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Product or service
- Nestle Ovaltine
- Review category
- Food Manufacturers
You May Also Like
- "I purchased the case (3 boxes, total of 18 packs) of Kellogg's PopTarts a couple of weeks ago and upon opening the individual packages noticed that the product was wet..."
- "I bought a gronk monster for 1 i wanted to try it for 2 new england my team i f**ks with gronk but i opened the drink took a sip..."
- "Heated a can of Allen's brand Italian Cur Green Beans and found a huge worm inside one piece of green bean. Went online to contact Allens only to find..."
- "Bought a new trailer brand new from them and have nothing but issues from date purchased. The management is the worst. Manager told me leaks are not covered under warrantee..."
- "1st time i used levis u.k. Return policy is a trick to keep your money atlest show it on the shop so customer can be aware instead written small at..."
- "I am extremely disappointed and furious to have been scammed by this company THE DEAL EMPIRE at the value of $66.80 for the purchase of Body Shaper panties and Slim..."
- "I was googling my address and came accross Nuwber site that had all kinds of personal information. I tried to remove personal information from Nuwber via their site links...."
- "I took my 9 year old Morkie to our regular vet for a routine check up only to find an abnormality in his stomach. They took an x-ray which showed..."
- "I was compelled to write this review after reading some of the truly bizarre negative comments about Buffalo Creek Farms in Lawrence, Kansas. When we began looking for a Persian kitten,..."